Frequently asked questions
How does DFDS take care of the environment?
Our customers can expect high quality standards that meet their expectations and go hand in hand with our efforts to meet further improved environmental landmarks.
Our tools are our commitment to dynamic customer service and continuous development aimed at sustainable solutions.
How quality aware is DFDS?
At DFDS, quality is closely linked to our customer service. Our quality improvement schemes are aimed at ensuring that our customers always get service of the promised quality. This means respecting time schedules, contracts and agreements, avoiding or reducing service interruptions, damage to cargo and always trying to achieve the most efficient solutions. In order to do so, we offer transparency and documentation through certification and our efficient customer communications system.
Is DFDS committed to sustainable solutions?
We are all responsible for leaving future generations a world in ecological balance. At DFDS we are committed to continually developing our operations and activities in order to reduce energy consumption and our impact on the environment. To do this, we carefully monitor and document our energy consumption and our impact on the environment. We also aim to convey information about our environmental footprint to our customers and partners, as well as to our employees.
Is DFDS reducing CO2 emissions?
CO2 is the most common greenhouse gas, and the volume emitted rises or falls proportionally with fuel consumption. DFDS has initiated a comprehensive project designed to reduce bunker consumption by means of a series of technical and operational initiatives. It is our goal to reduce the emissions of CO2, as well as emissions of sulphur, NOX and particles. To reach that goal, initiatives include:
- Registration of energy consumption and emissions
- Recycling of excess heat
- Optimising departure and arrival times
- Optimising sailing to the weather and sea conditions through new IT technology
- New technical solutions
What is DFDS' dangerous goods policy?
- No Goods which are or may become dangerous, combustible, inflammable or damaging (including radio-active materials), or which are or may become liable to damage any property whatsoever, shall be tendered to the Carrier or Carriage without his express consent in writing, and without the Unit in which the Goods are to be carried as well as the Goods themselves being distinctly marked on the outside so as to indicate the nature and character of any such Goods and so as to comply with any applicable laws, regulations or requirements. If any such Goods are delivered to the Carrier without such written consent and/or making, or if in the opinion of the Carrier the Goods are liable to become of a dangerous, combustible, inflammable or damaging nature, they may at any time be destroyed, disposed of, abandoned, or rendered harmless without any compensation to the Merchant and without prejudice to the right to Freight of the Carrier.
- The Merchant undertakes that such Goods are packed in a manner adequate to withstand the risks of Carriage having regard to their nature and in compliance with all laws or regulations, which may be applicable during the Carriage.
- Whether or not the Merchant was aware of the nature of the Goods, the Merchant shall fully indemnify the Carrier against all claims, losses, damages or expenses arising in consequence of the Carriage of such Goods.
- Nothing contained in this Clause shall deprive the Carrier of any of his rights provided for elsewhere.
Note: Supplementary route-specific instructions relating to the transportation of hazardous goods are provided on the relevant route pages.
I need to transport hazardous cargo, what is DFDS' policy?
For hazardous cargo the driver must report to the freight desk with signed dangerous good notes* and freight trailers need to be labelled with Hazardous stickers on each side of the trailer. If the dangerous good notes are not correct or are not signed the trailer or accompanied vehicle will not be shipped.
* With the trailer, the accompanying documents specifying the exact nature of the hazard must be handed in by the driver. Following information must be in our custody prior to applying stowage and segregation planning for shipment:
- UN number(s)
- Proper shipping names
- IMDG classes / subdivision
- Packaging grup (if applicable)
- Flashpoint (if applicable)
- Marine pollutant (if applicable)
- Packaging type
- Number of packages and weight / volume
- In case of limited quantities this must be clearly indicated on the accompanying documents, failing this, the substance may not be qualified as limited quantities.
- Shipper’s declaration and packing-certificate declaring full compliance with IMDG regulations.
Why are there several different systems for booking and tracking, and which one should I use?
DFDS is in the process of upgrading our online booking experience. Our new online booking works on any device, so you can book, update and track shipments at your convenience. If you do not currently have an account please use the contact form. Our old booking system, Infobridge, is still available (desktop only) for existing users with an account. If you are a new customer, please request an account to our new online booking tool using the contact form below. Customers using Dover-Calais and Dover-Dunkirk routes may also continue to book via Phoenix Web (mobile-friendly) if they already have an account.
What do the booking tools provide access to?
All tools allow you to create, edit or cancel bookings and to track an existing shipment or booking.
What kind of surcharges can I expect when collaborating with DFDS?
Two variable elements that affect the cost of transport operation are currency fluctuations (CAF) and cost of fuel (MGO BAF). To compensate for these two elements we apply surcharges which may vary for different routes. Additional surcharges apply depending on the type of transport or load:
- Additional driver surcharge
- Hazardous cargo surcharge
- Livestock surcharge
- Out of gauge surcharge
- Reefer surcharge
- Safety inspection
- Winter surcharge (Only applicable in Russia)
Please contact our nearest office to obtain the information about current surcharges. Read about the EU Sulphur Directive and DFDS Response.
If one of your employees has left the company, it is the account holder’s responsibility to ensure that the log-in is deactivated. Please send an e-mail to your local DFDS office and they will deactivate the log-in.
In order to create a log-in for a new employee, please send an e-mail to your local DFDS office with the following information:
- Full name
- Personal e-mail address (group mail is not accepted for login)
- If more than one, which company profile will this person be booking for? You can refer to a current user with correct access if you are unsure which company profile
- If you would like booking confirmations to be sent to a group mail, please state this in your mail
For safety and security reasons a personal login is required. For instance, if one of your co-workers is leaving the company, then they would still be able to access the profile. To make sure your bookings are safe, it is therefore important to have personal log-ins. Contact your local DFDS office if you need a new log-in created or an existing one changed/deactivated.
If your co-worker is booking within the same company profile as you, all bookings created within that company profile will be visible.
Yes, there is an app to follow your bookings. Read more and download the available apps to your smartphone here. You can create bookings on your mobile phone using MyFreight, which is optimized for mobile users. Simply login via the browser on your mobile phone or tablet.
Are you a passenger?
If you’re booked onto one of our ferries as a passenger and need to talk to us, head over to our customer service page for passengers and get in touch.
Find office with contact details to local DFDS representatives in your country.
Cross the Channel with the DFDS Spot online ticket
- No account needed
- Pay by credit/debit card
- Easy online booking
- Book on any device - simply book, pay, go