Dedicated steel terminal and cross-docking facilities
Special equipment handling coil, plate, billets, and much more
Added value services such as freight management
Innovative mega cassette and equipment solutions
Smooth metals supply chain
When you move metals like aluminium, lead, copper, zinc, and nickel you need flexible systems with an immense capacity for extreme weight and odd-sized cargo. At DFDS, we use mobile loading platforms like cassettes and roll trailers made to handle very heavy cargo. DFDS was one of the first ferry operators to develop and use these open types of loading platforms.
Preloading onto mobile platforms means you can move multiple coils at once, without the ship being anywhere near the port. This massively speeds up the loading and dispatching procedures: you don’t need to charter vessels, but can move your metal cargo in one, steady flow.
This in turn limits the need for warehouse space and ultimately makes it easier to transport odd-sized metal when and in the amount that suits your supply chain, rather than being limited by the old manual one-coil-on, one-coil-off loading system.
Our metals logistics network
Our unique network of 24 ferry routes on a fixed schedule, 55 ferries, 8 port terminals, 9,000 trailer and container units, and 8,000+ local ferry and logistics experts across Europe and Turkey will secure on-time delivery, every time. That’s why so many metal and steel logistics customers trust us to move their businesses and people.
Metals handling equipment designed for your needs
When you invest in and share metal-handling equipment with a pool of other vessels like we do, total cost of ownership is divided, and the equipment is more actively utilised.
Our global equipment pot consists of 11,000 pieces of cargo carrier and security equipment. We have thousands of roll trailers and cassettes that make handling and moving cargo a fast and easy affair.
We can do temporary modifications if necessary, and always offer flexible solutions for any industry or customer across our widespread routes.
The result is quick, cost-efficient and reliable shipments of large volumes of steel across Europe and Turkey.
- Asset-based 3PL solutions including own vessels, trains, trailers, terminals, containers, and swap bodies
- Modern fleet of vessels consisting of Ro-Ro, sideport, and container vessels
- Innovative mega cassette and equipment solutions optimising payload and cargo care
- Dedicated steel terminal, cross-docking, and warehouse facilities
- Special equipment handling coil plate, billets, slabs, pipes, tubes, bar, and rod
- Rail and road distribution services and multimodal solutions
Digital tools that make it all run smoother
- A dedicated DFDS Control Tower can manage the entire end-to-end metals logistics process
- Your metal cargo will be 100% traceable in real-time
- We offer EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) solutions, for more efficient data management of your metal logistics
- Our user-friendly booking systems help you to create, edit, and track your bookings
- Online Warehouse Management System (WMS) Empirika keeps tabs on stock and movements
- Modern tracking allows both the unit and the trailer to be independently tracked
Request a quote
Please specify your metal transport or logistics needs and we’ll provide you with a rate. What are you transporting? When do you want it moved, from where to where?