1. When will I receive my tickets? DFDS operates as a ticketless company. When you buy a ferry crossing online, you will be sent an email confirmation containing your booking reference and travel details. Please print or write down your reference number. If you make a phone reservation, you will be asked to make a note of your booking reference number. On the day of travel you will need to quote your booking reference number at the DFDS Seaways check-in booth.
2. Can I amend my booking at the terminal? The DFDS Dover and Dunkirk ferries do allow amendments to be made at the terminal, subject to space availability. If you change your booking, you will be charged the difference between the port fare (Turn Up and Go fare) and your original fare. The Turn Up and Go fare is always charged at a higher rate than the internet fare, so it will cost you more to change your booking at the port.
For the lowest fee, please contact our customer support team as soon as your plans change.
We appreciate that delays can occur when travelling so we allow our customers to amend their bookings one sailing before or one sailing after their original departure without any charges - subject to space and availability. You do not need to advise us in advance.
Please note that bookings cannot be amended if more than 24 hours have passed since your original crossing departed. A new booking must be made and the original booking is treated as a cancellation.
3. What is the procedure for travelling with pets? DFDS Dover - Dunkirk vessels are able to transport pets as long as we are advised at the time of the booking and provided a pet passport number.
Due to the nature of the vehicle types, bookings for all travel with horses/ponies must be made through our freight reservation department firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: All animals must remain in the vehicle during the crossing and are subject to all necessary documentation, vaccinations etc. We strongly advise you to visit the DEFRA website if you have any other questions.
4. Can I buy a ticket at the port on the day of departure? Tickets can be purchased at the Travel Centre in Dover or Dunkirk. DFDS Seaways Dover-Dunkirk ferries charge a Turn Up and Go fare at the port which is a premium fare and is more expensive than the internet fare. Bookings are subject to availability. In order to get the cheapest price we recommend that you book your ticket in advance.
5. How can I change my booking prior to travel? Please see "Amend my booking" You will also need to pay any difference in fare between what you have already paid and the price of the new departure.
6. Carriage of Gas and Fuel If your vehicle is fitted with gas cylinders, up to 3 gas cylinders may be carried, the combined weight of which must not exceed 47 kg; Butane/Propane (for lighting, cooking or heating purposes only), or Propane/Helium. The transport of jerry cans on-board is specifically forbidden, full or empty.
7. What if I am carrying weapons? Firearms must be declared at the time of booking and no later than 24 hours before departure. Firearms can only be transported on our ships if they are secured in a vehicle such as a car or motorhome or the ships designated secured holding area as applicable. You must also ensure you have completed and returned your weapons form to email@example.com or contacted us via 0871 522 9955.
1. How can I find the lowest-priced fare? As with most tour operators, our fares are based on supply and demand, so you will pay less for traveling in the off season than you will in the middle or high season. In addition, our fares vary depending on how full our departures are at any given time, so the earlier you book, the less expensive your journey.
2. Can bus transfers be booked online? If your booking is for a mini cruise, then the bus transfer is automatically included in your booking. Please see your booking confirmation sent to your e-mail. If you require transfer bus to/from the terminals when travelling one way, you will have the opportunity to add them during the online booking process. If you have already made your booking and wish to add bus transfers, please contact us by phone.
3. When will I receive my tickets? DFDS do not issue paper tickets. You will receive an e-mail booking confirmation which is valid as a travel document once payment has been received. You can choose to print or to note your reference number wich has to be shown at the check-in. The confirmation shall also be used as a bus ticket for any bus transfers to and from the terminal that you have booked. Extras such as meals are credited to your key-card (Boarding card), which you will receive at check-in together with any tickets for other products that you have booked.
4. Why can I not view my booking online? There can be several reasons why it is not possible to view your booking online:
Still having problems? Please contact Customer Service.
5. When and where do I check in in Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) and North Shields (Newcastle)? Check in in Ijmuiden opens at 13.00 CET and closes at 16.45 CET. North Shields check in opens at 14.30 GMT with all foot passengers to be checked in by 16.15 GMT. All car passengers need to be checked in by 16.00 GMT.
Amsterdam (Ijmuiden), Felison terminal, Sluisplein 33, 1975 AG Ijmuiden, Holland
Newcastle (North Shields), International Passenger Terminal, Royal Quays, North Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE29 6EE, Great Britain
*Please note: In July and August, check-in opens at 14.15 in both Ijmuiden and North Shields in order to cope with high season demand. *
6. Is it necessary to bring identification when checking in and or boarding? All travellers will need a valid passport. If you are not able to show a valid passport you will be refused at check-in. Foreign travellers should check whether a visa is required for entry to the UK. We recommend you contact the British embassy for inquiries about visa regulations. Also see more information here If you do not have a valid visa, you may be refused at check-in.
7. Can I travel with my pet? Pets (dogs, cats & ferrets) are welcome on our Amsterdam – Newcastle route for passengers travelling with their own vehicle. Kennels are available for dogs and it is also possible to leave your dog or cat in your car or caravan for the duration of the crossing. At the discretion of the crew - and conditions permitting - owners may visit their animals on the car deck or kennel at prearranged times. Transport of all pets is subject to the legal requirements for pet transport between the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. For transport of pets other than dogs, cats or ferrets you will find detailed information about travelling with pets HERE.
8. What forms of payment are accepted on board? Our restaurants, bars and shops accept cash payments in Euros or British Pounds and a wide range of credit card and debit card options are also available. There is a bureau de change on board where you can exchange a wide range of currencies. There is no ATM on board, so it is not possible to withdraw cash.
9. May I bring my own food and drink on board? Passengers are not allowed to bring their own food and drink on board for personal consumption in public areas. Any personal food and drink being consumed in public areas on board may be confiscated. You are not permitted to bring alcohol onboard
10. Can transfer bus from and to terminals be booked online? If your booking is for a mini cruise, then bus transfer to and from the terminal is automatically included in your booking. Please check your booking confirmation that states "transfer". If you travel one way and require a bus transfer to/from the terminal, you will have the opportunity to add it during the online booking process. If you have already made your booking and wish to add a bus transfer, please contact customer service.
11. Is there a Wi-Fi available on board? Yes, you can purchase WiFi packages onboard.
How to purchase:
Choose the network "DFDS-guest" and you will then be automatically redirected to a landing page, giving you the option of choosing which package you would like to buy.
Commodore and Conference guests
Free Wi-Fi is included for guests travelling in Commodore and as a Conference guest. The code is limited to one device at the time. As Commodore guests you need to hand in the voucher from your cabin in to the Guest Service Center to get access to free Wi-fi. As Conference guest you will receive a Wi-Fi code in the Conference Center.
PLEASE NOTE: The Wi-Fi connection is at times over satellite so some limitations must be taken into account with some capacity-intensive solutions such as streaming services. Remember to set up your mobile correctly - not using mobile data, otherwise you risk being billed on your phone bill. If you are in doubt regarding mobile usage abroad we recommend you contact your mobile operator for more information.
12. Carriage of Gas and Fuel If your vehicle is fitted with gas cylinders, up to 3 gas cylinders may be carried, the combined weight of which must not exceed 47 kg; Butane/Propane (for lighting, cooking or heating purposes only), or Propane/Helium. The transport of jerry cans on-board is specifically forbidden, full or empty.
13. What if I am travelling with infants and cots? You may over occupy a cabin by 1 infant aged 0-3 years. Travel cots are not permitted within our standard cabins as this would pose a health and safety risk, bed guards may be collected at the Guest Service Centre to be placed on the side of the bed.
14. What if I am carrying weapons? Firearms must be declared at the time of booking and no later than 24 hours before departure. Firearms can only be transported on our ships if they are secured in a vehicle such as a car or motorhome or the ships designated secured holding area as applicable. You must also ensure you have completed and returned your weapons form to firstname.lastname@example.org or contacted us via 0871 522 9955.
1. Do I need to show my passport when checking in?
Yes, all travellers, including children under 16 years of age, must show a valid passport when checking in at the Copenhagen and Oslo terminals. DFDS reserve the right to refuse travellers without a valid passport.
It is your responsibility to follow rules and regulations for your entry to Norway and Denmark.
Please be aware that certain nationalities have special visa conditions and rules regarding the length of validity remaining on your passport.
Please contact the relevant authorities (e.g. your embassy and/or consulate in Norway/Denmark) for further information.
For more information about Danish Visa and passport rules and regulations please visit the Ministry of Foreign affairs of Denmark website here.
2. How can I change my booking prior to travel?
Please visit "My bookings".
3. Why is my payment with credit card not going through?
There are many different reasons why your card payment may have been declined. Please ensure that the card details are entered correctly, and that you have sufficient funds in your account to make the payment. If you are still having problems, you may need to contact your card issuer.
Online debit/credit card payments can be declined for the following reasons:
Sometimes online card payments can be pre-authorised but it is then rejected by our payment system automatically, the transaction is voided for a number of reasons.
You will receive notification that your payment has been unsuccessful. In these circumstances, you will find after checking with your bank that the funds have been authorised for payment from your account. However, in this situation DFDS has not received any payment due to a rejected transaction. The money is therefore frozen by your payment card and then it is automatically returned to your payment account within 3-5 working days.
If your money is not returned to your payment card within 5 working days, please contact our customer service. We will require your card number together with the transaction ID from your bank and their email address. This will enable us to contact your bank requesting to pre-authorise the release of the frozen funds back to your payment card account.
Some countries also accept a valid National ID card (only issued in certain countries and shows the nationality of the card holder) as a substitute for passports.
4. Can I travel with pets?
Yes, you can travel with most pets. Pets are allowed to stay in a specific pet-friendly cabin.
See more information here.
5. Can I travel with vehicle/Motorcycle/Motorhome and or bike?
Yes you can. Just choose vehicle/Motorcycle/Motorhome and or bike , depending on which you wish to bring on board, on the first step in the online booking system.
6. Can I bring my own food on board?
No, you are not allowed to bring your own food or beverage on board.
7. Carriage of Gas and Fuel If your vehicle is fitted with gas cylinders, up to 3 gas cylinders may be carried, the combined weight of which must not exceed 47 kg; Butane/Propane (for lighting, cooking or heating purposes only), or Propane/Helium. The transport of jerry cans on-board is specifically forbidden, full or empty.
8. What if I am travelling with infants and cots?
You may over occupy a cabin by 1 infant aged 0-3 years. Travel cots are not permitted within our standard cabins as this would pose a health and safety risk, bed guards may be collected at the Guest Service Centre to be placed on the side of the bed.
9. What if I am carrying weapons?
Firearms must be declared at the time of booking and no later than 24 hours before departure. Firearms can only be transported on our ships if they are secured in a vehicle such as a car or motorhome or the ships designated secured holding area as applicable. You must also ensure you have completed and returned your weapons form to email@example.com or contacted us via 0871 522 9955.
1. Where and when do I check in, in Copenhagen?
You check in at the Copenhagen DFDS terminal located in central Copenhagen. Terminal address: Dampfærgevej 30, 2100, Copenhagen Ø, Denmark.
See more information about the Copenhagen and Oslo terminals here.
2. When do I check in- and board the ship? Copenhagen (and Oslo terminal) Self service check in and check in desks available. Check in opens: 11.45 Check in closes: 14.00 Boarding opens: 12.15 Boarding ends: 14.00 Daily departure from Copenhagen and Oslo: 14.15
Please note: It is your responsibility to check in and board on time.
3. Can I get a tax refund stamp in the terminal?
Yes. You can get a tax free refund stamp at the Customs office in both Copenhagen and Oslo terminal.
Please note: DFDS does not refund any tax free purchase.
4. Is there baggage storage in the terminal?
Yes. There are three sizes of lockers for baggage and other personal items.
5. How do I pay for baggage storage in the terminal?
You can only pay with Danish and Norwegian kroner (Coins). The lockers costs 40, 60 and 80 DKK per 24 hours , depending on locker size. Please ask a member off staff, if in doubt.
You can change DKK notes to DKK coins at the check in counters or bring Danish or Norwegian coins with you.
The Oslo terminal have the same baggage storage possibilities.
6. How long can I store baggage in the terminal?
There is no time limit on the baggage lockers.
7. Is there baggage maximum weight/size policy?
No, there is no maximum weight or size policy. Passengers (foot passengers without vehicle) must be able to carry their own luggage on board.
Passengers are responsible for getting the baggage from the terminal building to the ship and vice versa.
Passengers with vehicle: There is no size or weight baggage limit when travelling with a vehicle.
Please note: The car deck is locked and access is prohibited during crossing. If you (in emergency) would need to access your vehicle. Please contact guest service centre on deck 7.
Please bring anything you may need during the crossing before leaving car deck.
If you have any special baggage requirements, please contact customer service.
1. How much does parking cost? The DFDS car parks are discounted for our customers. You can book parking online when you make your booking. Prices starts at €33.50 (Wednesday - Sunday) Or you can book parking by contacting Customer service.
The number of parking spaces are limited so we recommend that you book in advance.
2. How do I get a parking permit when booking online?
Parking permits are sent with your booking confirmation email. The parking permit must be printed and visible in your front window when your car is parked in one of the DFDS car parks.
EuroPark has a few small parking areas where it is possible to park for longer periods. Addresses: Dampfærgevej, Indiavej and Forbindelsesvej (Tulipan area)
Nearest parking garage: By og havn on "Amerika Plads" The parking garage - Located on Dampfærgevej and is within walking distance to the terminal. The car park has about 600 parking spaces.
1. Can I exchange money on board?
A bureau de change is available at the Guest Services Centre on deck 7 on both cruise ships. You can exchange (Buy/sell) most major currencies including DKK, NOK, EUR. There is a maximum exchange limit of 10.000 DKK (EUR 1.500) per day.
2. Can I withdraw money on board?
Yes. There is Cash on card service, Yomani.
Max withdraw amount cash on card: Without ID: 3.500 DKK. With ID: 7.500 DKK per day.
You can withdraw Danish kroner (And thereafter change to other currencies if needed).
Accepted debit/credit cards: American Express, CUP, Diners Club , JCB, Maestro, MasterCard, MasterCard Debit , VISA , Visa Electron, VPAY , Bank Axept , Visa Debit.
Credit card fees might apply for cards issued outside the EU.
3. Can I get my non EU-citizen tax refunds on board your ships?
No we do not provide this service. The tax free shops on board only sell tax free items.
You can get a tax free refund stamp at the terminal in Copenhagen - Please contact customs who can provide you with a stamp. Please see information about tax free refunds as a non EU-citizen here.
4. Is there a Wi-Fi available on board?
Get access to WiFi on board buy purchasing one of our 4 WiFi solutions on board. Choose the one suitable for your needs while travelling.
Remember! If you travel in a premium cabin or as a conference guest, WiFi is free of charge.
5. Where do I make a restaurant table reservation?
You can make table reservations in all restaurants except Little Italy. The restaurants are located on deck 7 and 8. The restaurants have a desk in front of the restaurant where you can reserve a table and receive information. There are ship overview boards on all decks - showing where the restaurants are.
6. Can I borrow extra bedding for the bed sofa in my cabin?
Yes. If you stay in Commodore owner's suite (Two bedding sets available for the Commodore Owners suites on deck 9), Commodore de luxe or Commodore balcony you can borrow a bedding set in the Guest service centre on deck 7.
7. On what deck do I get off the ship?
The exit and entrance hall is on deck 5.
1. When will I receive my tickets? You will receive an e-mail booking confirmation. This e-mail is valid as a travel document once payment has been received. Please bring your reference number (either shown on your mobile phone or printed booking confirmation) to the terminal. If you book by phone you will be asked to make a note of your booking reference number. You will need to quote your booking reference at check-in desk or self service check in.
2. What is the policy for travel with pets on the route? Pets are transported under conditions of advanced notification and according to AB DFDS Seaways rules of passenger transportation. Pets can be transported in pet-freindly cabins or left in a car during the journey. Pets are not allowed to travel in the lounge area. Pet friendly cabins can only be booked over the telephone - not online. Please contact customer service on +370 46 323232. Pet transportation fee is €40, regardless if you leave your pet in a car or book a pet-friendly cabin.
Pets must be transported in accordance with State Food and Veterinary Service requirements. Passengers with pets must book a whole cabin. Pets must be in a cages or on a dog’s lead with a muzzle. Pets must be kept off the cabin beds. More information can be found on pet-travel web page.
3. Can a minor travel alone? Children up to 16 year-old are not allowed to travel alone without a parent, guardian or accompanying adult.
4. How can I change my booking prior to travel? A booking can be amended no later than the day of departure. Please login to "My bookings" to make any changes.
5. Will I be able to change my ticket if I miss my ferry? You have an opportunity to change your ticket on the day. You can do it just by contacting us on +370 46 32 32 32 before the start of check-in. After that, you'll lose the ticket. A fee for changing the date is €15.
6. Can I change travel date if I booked a special offer ticket? You can change the date of your booking even if booked with a special offer, considering there are spaces left.
7. I can't pay for ticket online. Why? There are many reasons why you may not be able to pay: incorrect details, insufficient funds or mismatch between payer and account holder. We recommend to pay via electronic banking system as errors are less likely when baying using this method.
8. I can't pay using my credit card. Why?
When a client has problems paying by a credit card we usually ask these questions:
9. I selected a cabin but it doesn't allow me to continue the booking. Why? Pay attention to the number of travelers and the number of beds you choose. Every passenger traveling must have a place on board. If you select a group of three and book a double cabin, the system will not allow you to go to the next step. If you select too many cabins, the system will not allow you to continue booking either.
If you are traveling with a child and want to travel in a double cabin, you can do so, but you can still order a seat, otherwise the system will not allow you to book a ticket.
10. The number of passengers is not the same for outbound and return trip. How do I book tickets? We recommend to make two separate bookings for outbound and return. If you need one booking, please call contact centre and they'll make a booking. This service costs €15.
11. Carriage of Gas and Fuel If your vehicle is fitted with gas cylinders, up to 3 gas cylinders may be carried, the combined weight of which must not exceed 47 kg; Butane/Propane (for lighting, cooking or heating purposes only), or Propane/Helium. The transport of jerry cans on-board is specifically forbidden, full or empty.
12. What if I am carrying weapons? Firearms must be declared at the time of booking and no later than 24 hours before departure. Firearms can only be transported on our ships if they are secured in a vehicle such as a car or motorhome or the ships designated secured holding area as applicable. You must also ensure you have completed and returned your weapons form to firstname.lastname@example.org or contacted us via 0871 522 9955.
We’ve been nominated as Europe’s Leading Ferry Operator at the prestigious World Travel Awards for the tenth year in a row! We’d love to win but we need your help – please support us with your vote! Voting closes on 1st of September. Thank you for your support.
We’ve also been nominated for World’s Leading Ferry Website 2021 which you can vote for here.