The Ultimate Paris Christmas Holiday
Festive breaks to Paris
Every city is magical at Christmastime, but Paris is a cut above the rest. The City of Light dazzles more than ever with its lively markets, ice rinks and exciting activity schedule.
From the multi-coloured Christmas tree at the Galeries Lafayette to the twinkling lights along the Champs-Élysées, Christmas in Paris is a treat for the soul. Whether enjoying a glass of vin chaud (mulled wine) and roasting chestnuts along the Seine River or window shopping at the Grand Magasins, the things to do in Paris at Christmas are endless.
Paris Christmas markets
Walk among the Swiss-style wooden chalets and enjoy local delicacies while marvelling at Paris's Christmas charm. Paris's festive markets are dotted across the city, from the Eiffel Tower and the Tuileries Garden to Notre Dame and the Champs-Élysées. You'll find handmade souvenirs, arts and crafts, regional food specialities and fairground rides the whole family can enjoy.
Christmas markets you can't miss include:
- La Magie de Noël at the Tuileries Garden
- Paris Christmas Market at Hôtel de Ville
- La Défense: Le Village de Noël
Parisian Christmas ice rinks
Lace up your skates and get ready for some fun! One of the best things to do in Paris at Christmas is skating at one of the ice rinks. These are scattered around the city and are usually open from the beginning of November until mid-January.
Our top picks include:
- Grande Arche rooftop at La Défense
- Galeries Lafayette rooftop
- Tuileries Garden
- Champ de Mars Christmas Village
Christmas lights in Paris
The French capital lights up at Christmas with thousands of colourful decorations. Each area expresses its charm differently, but one has an extra touch of sparkle: the Champs-Élysées. Adorned with red bulbs hanging on 400 trees, the avenue represents Paris's festive splendour at its finest. Walk from Place de la Concorde to the Arc de Triomphe and immerse yourself in the magic.
Other places to spot Paris's beautiful Christmas lights include:
- Avenue Montaigne
- Bercy Village
- Place Vendôme
Christmas shopping in Paris
Sparkly, colourful and stylish, Parisian shop window displays are a feast for the eyes. From Hollywood glamour to Beauty and the Beast, the theme differs each year and features animations, music, snow and sparkles. The art of lèche-vitrine (window shopping) is a beloved pastime among Parisians, and Christmas is the time to shine.
Head to these department stores to experience the city’s unique Christmas vibe:
If you’re serious about your shopping and want to discover the latest French brands and trends whilst learning about Paris, why not book a private shopping tour with a local.
Where to stay in Paris at Christmas
It's always a good time to visit the French capital, but the city comes alive at Christmas.
Top hotels in Paris
- Best Western Ronceray Opera: This 3-star hotel is nestled in the heart of Paris, providing easy access to the city's Christmas wonder. The rooms are comfortably furnished with modern amenities such as a flat-screen TV and a desk.
- Hotel Balmoral: Located close to the Champs-Élysées, this 4-star hotel is a perfect spot to enjoy Paris's vibrant Christmas atmosphere. The hotel boasts well-appointed rooms and suites, a cosy bar, and a lounge - an ideal place to unwind after a day exploring the city.
- Montfleuri Hotel: A stone's throw away from the Arc de Triomphe, Montfleuri Hotel offers an unforgettable Christmas stay in Paris. This 4-star hotel exudes elegance, from its tastefully decorated rooms to its chic bar and lounge area. Enjoy the Parisian Christmas lights from this prime location.
Each of the hotels above offers a unique Parisian experience and can be booked with ease alongside your ferry to France in our European City Break package. Plus, our special short break pricing for 3- and 5-day breaks adds even more value. Experience the ease of booking your holiday in one convenient package.